Mold can be found everywhere, outside in your neighborhood, in your bathroom shower, or in the darkest part of your basement. Mold grows in a variety of colors and loves damp, warm, humid places and can grow year round.
If your exposed to mold you could develop a variety of breathing issues that range from mild to severe.
Lamia Ibrahim, MD, a critical care pulmonologist, states that, “There’s sufficient evidence to link mold exposure with upper respiratory tract symptoms – coughing and wheezing – in otherwise healthy people, as well as linking it to asthma symptoms in people with asthma. Other research suggests a potential link of early mold exposure to the development of asthma in some children, especially those with a genetic susceptibility to developing the condition.”
Mold spores produce a chemical mycotoxins that can cause allergic reactions that may lead to breathing problems, infection, hypersensitivity disorders, damage to your organs, mental impairment or even death on really rare occasions.
When mold spores are introduces to your body they irritate and create a sensation in your nose, mouth or throat that feels like burning.
Minimize the Risk
According to Dr. Ibrahim you can come into contact with mold virtually anywhere. Outside mold can be found in damp areas with a lot of shade or heavy vegetation. Inside mold can be found in dark and high humidity areas such as showers. Individuals who are prone to breath issues should consider avoiding prolonged stays in areas that have a high chance of mold growth.
To avoid exposure to mold you can minimize your risk by doing the following:
- Keep humidity levels in your home below 50%. You can accomplish this wish an air conditioner or humidifier.
- Ventilate your home. Check your homes ventilation system to make sure there are not malfunctions and that all exhaust fans are running.
- When cleaning your bathroom make sure to use cleaning products that can kill mold.
- Avoid carpeting your bathroom.
- Remove or replace any carpet or furniture that has gotten wet.
Everyone is unique and can respond to mold in different ways. Symptoms can range from anywhere from a mild irritation to compromised breathing and organ failure. The elderly, children and individuals with weak immune systems have the highest risk of developing health problems when exposed to mold. People with severe mold allergies can develop a shortness of breath and fever.
- Sore Throat
- Bleeding Gums
- Runny, Itchy or Stuffy Nose
- Nose Bleeds
- Breathing Difficulty
- Coughing or Weezing
- Swollen Lungs
- Bleeding Lungs
According to Dr. Ibrahim a rare inflammatory lung disease known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis, can also be a result of mold exposure.
Tell Your Doctor
If you have been exposed to mold and are experiencing any of the above mentions symptoms you should consult your doctor as soon as possible. If you are experiencing any symptoms out of the ordinary when exposed to mold, no matter how small, let your doctor know.
If you think that you may have mold growing in your Kansas City home call Spectrum today! Our experts can identify the source and remove every trace of mold for your residence or business.